Friday, March 03, 2006

Abstract Sicha - Teruma

Classic: Only in 770 would you find Shampoo casually hanging out.

I started a new part time job this week. I must say, the hardest part about a job is getting though the first month. It's the time where the boss just takes me around and shows me what to do and what not to do. Often he will talk to me like I'm a complete idiot that doesn't know the basics of what I'm doing.

The important thing is that I'm learning new things. It might be a humbling experience showing vulnerable sides to me of lack of knowledge, but it's still important. Right now it's time for me to shut up and listen. Later I will have plenty of room to navigate. For now, however, I'm building the foundation for being successful in my work.

This weeks Sicha zooms in on the foundation. The foundation of the Mishkan and the foundation of our lives.

The Torah mentions the word Teruma 3 times. These represent the three kinds of taxation.

1) The Teruma for the foundation sockets of the Mishkan. This tax requires a half Shekel from every Jew. No more, no less.

2) The Teruma of the "Mizbayach". This tax also requires a half Shekel from every Jew. It was used for a Karban (Sacrifice) on behalf of the general public.

3) The Truma for the vessels and other things in the Mishkan. This is a unique tax for everyone may give however much they desire.

The big question is shouldn't Teruma 1 and 3 fit in the same category? Why the distinction between the sockets and the rest of the Mishkan? Why the set amount for the sockets but not for the rest?

The second Truma sounds justified to require the same amount from every Jew. Every Jew was effected by the golden calf. The Karban is to atone for everyone equally. The Jewish people as a whole.

As for the foundation sockets we must look into the spiritual side of things. In every Jew there is a part of the Mishkan and the Beis Hamikdash in them. I know you might not feel it, but it's there. The sockets represent our spiritual foundation, which is the low, socket-like, foundation of being humbled and nullified to Hashem. Without the foundation you can't have the beautiful curtains, wood, vessels etc..

That is why we must start our day with Modeh Ani. Humbling ourselves with the acknowledgement of where we come back from and giving thanks for that. Without that foundation of knowledge, understanding and nullification, we cannot properly take on the rest of the day. It can even lead to arrogance.

When it comes to this important foundation everyone is equal. Everyone comes from the same source. That is why everyone gives a half Shekel equally. But when it comes to other ways of serving Hashem, everyone must give "according to his ability". A rich man can't give a poor mans valued gift, but a poor can give more. We must use out our unique abilities to serve Hashem. We can't use out our neighbors abilities, but ours to the fullest. It says that spiritually rich and poor depends not on money but knowledge. We have to use ours to the fullest for the right reasons.

Without my biting of the bullets and learning new things at the beginning of my job, I would simply lack the foundation. That would make the rest of my job simply arrogant. I don't want to be arrogant.

Have an awesome Shabbos!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

uh... yeah... why abstract?

Nice pic...

and #3 need help on getting ur sidebar back up or ya like it like that? E-mail me if need be: chrakk@gmail.com

3/03/2006 8:04 PM  
Blogger Suma said...

S thanx... just had to shoot that pic with my camera phone.. I had to lay down on the bentch to get that perspective.. but I couldn't pass it up


Abstract because of the picture.. and for writing in frank English..
#3.. will do..

3/04/2006 7:10 PM  
Blogger Suma said...

you know.. that's one of my favorite bochurim.. hint: his first name initials are SS

3/07/2006 12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home